The 2014 Fact Book Medical Technology in Australia: Key facts and figures in 2014 is now available!
To purchase a copy of the MTAA Factbook 2014, please click Add to Cart and follow the prompts. The 2014 Factbook is free to MTAA member companies, please ensure you log on to your My MTAA Account as part of the purchasing process to receive a free copy.
2014 Fact Book Medical Technology in Australia: Key facts and figures in 2014
MTAA has been publishing this resource since 2011 to summarise available information on the medical technology industry. The 2014 edition provides a valuable resource for those wanting to gain a better understanding of the medical technology industry in Australia and globally. The Australian medical technology industry, which includes medical devices, diagnostics and medical imaging equipment, comprises a diversity of manufacturers and suppliers of medical technology from emerging Australian companies to global companies. Medical technology saves and improves lives by detecting diseases earlier, and by providing more effective treatment options for patients and the healthcare system.
The industry is characterised by a high level of innovation, resulting in short life cycles for many products. Many medical devices undergo constant development based on feedback from healthcare professionals and advances in other sciences relevant to medical technology.
The Australian medical technology industry:
- had turnover of approximately $11.8 billion in 2012-13 (including IVDs and dental)
- was responsible for 43,952 medical device entries on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) (2014), estimated to represent between 500,000 and 1,000,000 different devices
- included over 500 medical technology companies with products listed on the ARTG
- employed more than 19,000 people
- was mainly located in NSW (55%) followed by Victoria (24%) and Queensland (12%) and
- imported goods to the value of $5.59 billion and exported goods to the value of $2.23 billion.
Globally the medical technology market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 4.5%, and achieve sales of US$455 billion by 2018.
If you would like a printed copy sent to you please email email@example.com
The 2011 Fact Book, 2012 Fact book and 2013 Fact book are also still available.