Telehealth technologies to manage healthcare in the home
Vital signs monitoring
|Implantable medical devices |
with remote monitoring capabilities
Clinical benefits associated with telehealth
A PubMed search of telehealth brings up over 15,000 articles. Examples of the clinical benefits associated with telehealth and remote monitoring are numerous; a small number are listed below.
- A 45% reduction in mortality rates and a 20% reduction in emergency room (ER) admissions in the UK Total Systems Demonstrator Trial, the largest randomised control trial of telehealth in the world (n=6,191 patients and 238 General Practitioner (GP) practices)
- A 71% reduction in emergency room admissions in respiratory patients who had oxygen saturation monitored daily
- A 25% reduction in numbers of bed days of care and a 19% reduction in hospital admissions in 17,025 veterans with chronic disease who were enrolled in a home telehealth program
- A 43% reduction in hospitalisations in cardiac patients who transmitted daily electrocardiogram and blood pressure data
- A 50% reduction in mortality in a large sample (n=69,556) of patients with implantable cardiac devices who were remotely monitored .